Policies, Regulations Forms and Bylaws

7120-30 | Car Allowances Regulation

Date Approved: September 11 2012
Date Reviewed/Amended: February 17 2017


  1. The district will pay a car allowance to employees who are authorized to use their personal vehicles on Board business.


  1. A mileage allowance, subject to Sections 2.2 and 2.3 below, will be paid on actual kilometres driven at the following rates:
    • For teachers, at the rate set in the collective agreement; and
    • For trustees and all other employees, at the rate set by the BC School Trustees Association.
  2. The maximum mileage allowance payable will be $280.00 per month for travel within the district.
  3. A record of mileage must be kept on a daily basis and the record should be available for inspection.
  4. A claim invoice must be submitted on Form 7120-30A. The claim form should be submitted each month, but may be submitted quarterly or semi-annually. Claim forms from a previous budget year will not be accepted.
  5. Employees whose travel on Board business exceeds 200 km per month, and who do not wish to record kilometres and claim under Section 2.1 above, can elect to receive a monthly allowance of $133.20. This allowance will be added to their regular pay cheque and will be a taxable benefit.


  1. Third Party Liability in the minimum amount of $2,000,000 must be carried for all vehicles used by employees in the performance of their duties.
  2. The incremental cost of additional insurance to:
    • Increase the Third Party Liability from $1,000,000 to $2,000,000, and/or
    • Change the ICBC insurance coverage rate class from “commuting” to “business” will be paid by the district once each year when submitted on the appropriate claim form.



7120 – Travel and Subsistence Allowance Policy

7120-30A – Invoice for Car Allowance Form

7120 - - Travel and Subsistence Allowance Policy
7120-30A - - Car Allowance - Invoice