Policies, Regulations Forms and Bylaws
4110-15 | Emergency Preparedness - Hazardous Material Spill
Date Approved: March 13 2012
Date Reviewed/Amended: July 19 2017
1. Community Hazardous Material Spill Response
- Follow the directions and recommendations from the designated Emergency Coordinator:
City of Prince Rupert
District of Port Edward
Chief Administrative Officer or Fire Chief
Fire Chief or Emergency Coordinator
- Secure school sites (e.g. close windows and doors etc., in cases of airborne contaminates/toxic fumes).
- Alert all staff to a possible evacuation.
- Evacuate students and staff only upon direction of the Emergency Coordinator; if the Emergency Coordinator is unavailable, contact the Superintendent or the Secretary-Treasurer; if the Superintendent and the Secretary-Treasurer are not available, evacuate as necessary.
- Once an evacuation order has been received bring students, staff and visitors to the designated assembly area. Bring student attendance lists and the visitor log book.
- Attend to injured personnel or students and call 9-1-1 if required.
- Follow emergency student release procedures.
2. School-Based Hazardous Material Spill Response
- Immediately notify the Principal of the spill.
- The Principal will notify Superintendent
- The Superintendent will, if there is a risk to the surrounding community, notify the Emergency Coordinator of the City.
- If toxic fumes are present, secure the area (with caution tape or cones) to prevent other students or personnel from entering. Evacuate the school, if necessary.
- Deal with the spill in accordance with the instructions described in the MSDS.
- Spills must be handled in safe manner, while wearing the proper Personal Protective Equipment. Ask for the assistance of the local Fire Department if necessary.
- Call 9-1-1 for medical aid for any students, staff or visitors exposed to the hazardous material.
Related Policies and Regulations:
4110 Policy: Emergency Preparedness
4110-90 Regulation: Emergency Preparedness – Emergency Drills
4310-40 Regulation: Incident Reporting and Investigation
4110 - - Emergency Preparedness Policy
4110-90 - - Emergency Preparedness - Emergency Drills
4310-40 - - Incident Reporting and Investigation Decision Tree