Date Approved: October 16 2023
School District 52, Prince Rupert (“School District”) is committed to ensuring the privacy, confidentiality and security of all personal information that it collects, uses, discloses and maintains in connection with its programs and activities. The School District complies with the School Act (“Act”) and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) in relation to the protection of privacy. This Policy sets out the School District’s commitment, standards and expectations regarding the appropriate practices for the collection, use and protection of personal information.
The School District and all Staff shall uphold the privacy, confidentiality and appropriate use of personal information in compliance with the School Act, FIPPA and the procedures, including by:
• being open and transparent about the purposes for which personal information may be collected and used by the School District;
• collecting and using personal information only as necessary to carry out the School District’s authorized programs and activities;
• sharing personal information internally with staff only on a need-to-know basis;
• sharing personal information with third parties with the knowledge and consent of affected individuals, unless otherwise authorized or required under FIPPA, the School Act or other applicable laws;
• ensuring personal information is protected against unauthorized access, use, disclosure, loss or destruction; and
• complying with FIPPA and all Procedures for the accuracy, protection, use, disclosure, storage, retrieval, correction and appropriate use of personal information.
TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY
The School District strives to be open and transparent with the community about its programs and activities and has processes in place to support the timely response to access requests submitted under FIPPA and the proactive release of information of interest to the community.
The Superintendent has been designated by the Board of Education as the “head” of the School District for the purposes of FIPPA and has overarching responsibility for ensuring compliance with this Policy, FIPPA and the requirements of the School Act pertaining to student records, including the implementation of administrative procedures and maintenance of a Privacy Management Program. As permitted under section 76.1(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the Board authorizes the Director of Human Resources, Privacy Officer to administer the Act and make operational decisions.
a) “personal information” means recorded information about an identifiable individual, but does not include an individual’s business contact information (business address, email address, telephone number);
b) “FIPPA” means the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act;
c) “Procedures” means the administrative procedures to this Policy;
d) “Staff” means all employees, contractors and volunteers of the School District;
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. Part 3;
School Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 412 sections9, 79(3)
Student Records Disclosure Order (M14/91)
7 - - Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
6720-10 - - Personal Information Management Program Regulation
6720-20 - - Privacy Impact Assessments Regulations
6720-30 - - Critical Incident and Privacy Breach Regulation