Policies, Regulations Forms and Bylaws
2420-10 | Department Heads and Team Leaders Regulation
Date Approved: February 19 2015
Date Reviewed/Amended: October 20 2016
Teachers may be appointed by the Superintendent of Schools to the position of Department Head or Team Leader, with an allowance in accordance with the collective agreement in effect at the time. Each appointment shall be for a definite stated period of time.
Purpose and Responsibilities
- The position of "Department Head" or “Team Leader” exists for the prime purpose of improving student success, improving communication, and school wide planning.
- It is expected that the Department Head or Team Leader will attempt to achieve this purpose by:
- Collaborating with their respective Departments or Teams regarding student learning, curriculum, assessment practices, and resources.
- Offering professional assistance and leadership to colleagues.
- Carrying out assigned administrative details.
- Department Heads and Team Leaders are directly responsible to their Principal for the proper performance of their duties.
In addition to a normal teaching load, Department Heads and Team Leaders shall:
- Chair meetings of teachers, as required.
- Encourage both individual initiative and the sharing of ideas amongst teachers.
- Lead the organizing of adequate and appropriate term work in all courses taught within the Department or Team.
- Discuss individual class progress with teachers.
- Discuss assessment practices and ways to communicate student learning.
- Assist in examining and implementing the curricular Learning Standards, Big Ideas, and Core Competencies.
- Obtain suitable teaching resources for use within the Department or Team.
- Report to the Principal regularly regarding budgets, requisitions, and recent or upcoming department/team activities.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Carry out such other specific duties as are requested by the Principal and Superintendent of Schools.