Policies, Regulations Forms and Bylaws
7120-10 | Travel and Subsistence Allowance
Date Approved: September 11 2012
Date Reviewed/Amended: July 31 2019
- The Board will pay travel and subsistence to trustees and authorized employees of the Board travelling on the business of the Board according to regulations.
- The method of travel shall be selected based on both economy and efficiency.
- Prior written authorization for travel by employees must be obtained from the persons designated in Regulation 7120-20 using an appropriate form, such as the Travel Authorization Form or the Professional Development Leave Form.
- Travel costs must fall within approved budgets.
- Trustees and employees are not permitted to authorize travel or travel claims for themselves.
- Hotel room charges including spouses will be accepted where a special room rate applies to single or double occupancy. Wherever practical rooms should be booked using the BC Government Employees Business Travel Accommodation Listing.
- Hotel movie rentals, loss of income, mini bar charges and child care expenses must not be claimed.
- Payment will be made for private lodging at $30.00 per night in lieu of hotel expenses when on district business.
- Airfare will be booked using the district Travel Authorization form. Flights should be booked with a travel agent authorized to access the BC Government discounted airfares.
- Car rentals, if necessary, should be booked using the BC Government Daily Vehicle Rentals Listing.
- If travel is by private automobile the owner may claim the lesser of
- car mileage at the rates in Section 3.5 (below), or
- the equivalent of return air fare for each of the authorized persons transported.
- Mileage allowance will be paid:
- For teachers, at the rate set in the collective agreement; and
- For trustees and all other employees, at the rate set by the BC School Trustees Association.
- Whether or not meals are charged to the room, the maximum allowable claim will be at the per diem rate for meals set by the BC School Trustees Association.
- Receipts are not required where the per diem rate is claimed.
- For each trip, the Secretary-Treasurer is authorized to make an advance covering the estimated cost of subsistence and a travel voucher for transportation.
- Within one week following the completion of the trip, each person concerned shall submit an expense account report in a form acceptable to the person designated in Regulation 7120-20.
7120-20 - Regulation 7120-20 - Travel and Subsistence Allowance - Approvals Regulation
7120 - 7120 - Travel and Subsistence Allowance Policy