Date Approved: January 11 2011
Date Reviewed/Amended: September 12 2017
The Board of Education is committed to a safe and inclusive learning and working environment for all students, employees, and members of the school community, based on the principles of respect, acceptance, and equity. The Board of Education recognizes and supports the BC Human Rights Code which prohibits discrimination based on race, colour, ancestry, place or origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression.
Diversity among people is one of the most prominent features of British Columbia’s society. The Board of Education is firmly committed to recognizing and honouring the diversity of all members of the school community.
The Board will strive to create and maintain conditions that foster success for all students and that promote fair and equitable treatment for all. These conditions include:
1. Equitable access to and equitable participation in quality education;
2. School cultures that value diversity and respond to the diverse social and cultural needs of the communities they serve;
3. School cultures that promote understanding of others and respect for all;
4. Learning and working environments that are inclusive, safe and welcoming, and free from discrimination, harassment, and violence;
5. Decision-making processes that give a voice to all members of the school community;
6. Policies and practices that promote fair and equitable treatment.
The Board is committed to:
1. creating an environment in the school district which is consistent with the B.C. Human Rights Code;
2. providing students with cognitive, social-emotional, and physical access to educational programs that will assist them in participating in and contributing to a diverse society;
3. hiring employees on the basis of ability and qualifications, and who are representative of the diverse population it serves;
4. reducing language and cultural barriers;
5. communicating effectively with all students, parents, guardians, employees and partner groups to ensure that each person has a voice and is treated with dignity and respect through an appropriate and constructive process.
1410 - - District Code of Conduct Policy
1440-10 - - Multiculturalism Regulation
1440-20 - - Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity and Expression Regulation