Policies, Regulations Forms and Bylaws
3110-10 | School Bus and Ferry Discipline Regulation
Date Approved: February 19 2015
Date Reviewed/Amended: December 21 2016
Bus Service for Students with Special Needs
- For students with special needs regularly riding on bus transportation provided by the Board, the authorized rules concerning safety and deportment are to be annually:
- Discussed with students by school staff;
- Given to bus drivers; and
- Sent to parents for signature.
- Bus drivers have the authority to maintain order but shall report all cases requiring disciplinary action to the Principal of the school.
- Parents shall be advised by the Principal of all cases of misbehaviour reported by the bus driver.
- Principals, in consultation with the District Principal, Learning Services, have the authority to suspend the right to transportation for misbehaviour for up to five days. Any suspensions shall be reported to the parents, the District Principal, Learning Services and the Superintendent of Schools.
- Suspensions of longer than five school days may be imposed only by the Superintendent and if for a period of more than ten (10) days may be considered to have a significant effect on the education of a student. The suspended student and/or parent may appeal such a suspension under Board Bylaw #4. The Superintendent shall provide the parent with a copy of the appeal procedure outlined in Board Bylaw #4.
- Privilege of transportation shall be restored to suspended students only upon assurance to the Principal of conforming to authorized rules and only after the stated period of suspension has been completed.
- Students will be held responsible for wilful damage as outlined in School Act Section 10.
Students Travelling To and From School on Bus or Ferry Services
- The Principal will respond to any report of a student requiring disciplinary action.
- Parents shall be advised by the Principal of all cases of misbehaviour reported to the school.
- School Bus and Ferry Services are not provided by the Board, and as a result the Board does not have authority with respect to any decision by the bus or ferry operator to suspend transportation services.
Students Travelling on Field Trips
- For students riding on bus or ferry transportation for a curricular or extra-curricular field trip, the authorized rules concerning safety and deportment are to be discussed with students by school staff, prior to the trip.
- Bus drivers and ferry operators have the authority to maintain order. The teacher travelling with the students will respond to any report of a student requiring disciplinary action, and follow the normal processes for the school.
- Particular care must be taken on long field trips that the driver is not distracted. In particular, electronic devices can make it difficult for the driver to see the road if it is dark, and students should be told not to allow their screens to face the front of the bus.
1610-11 – Field Trip Transportation Regulation
1610-11 - - Field Trip Transportation Regulation