Policies, Regulations Forms and Bylaws
1610-11 | Field Trip Transportation Regulation
Date Approved: August 26 2015
Date Reviewed/Amended: December 21 2016
Low Risk (Local) Field Trips
- A class may walk together on a field trip when time allows and providing appropriate supervision is available, considering the age of the students.
- Private vehicles may be used if the vehicles are in good working order, all passengers use seat belts (and booster seats when necessary), the designed seating capacity is not exceeded and there are no more than ten people in the vehicle, including the driver. Each volunteer driver should complete the Volunteer Driver Application Form (as per Regulation 1610-20). Note: Minimum Third Party Liability Insurance in the amount of $2,000,000.00 is required.
- Transportation by commercial bus is encouraged when funds are available.
Medium and High Risk (Out of Town) Field Trips
- Commercial transportation (Bus, Train or Air) is expected.
- Use of alternate transportation requires approval of the Superintendent. If the use of private vehicles is approved, the requirements for private vehicles set out in #2 for Low Risk Field Trips apply.
- When students travel by different means as participants in the same event and a cost to students is involved, it is expected that the travel costs will be pooled and shared equitably among the participants. For example if some students travel using Air Miles tickets, the cost of those tickets must be included in trip costs and all students will pay the same average cost.
Use of Electronic Devices
Supervisors must ensure that passengers are not using electronic devices in such a way as to distract the vehicle driver.
Use of District Field Trip Bus
The district has a bus, licensed for 20 passengers and one driver, available for field trips. The following conditions must be met in order for a driver to be approved for the bus:
- Obtain approval from the school principal.
- The School Board Office must be provided with copies of:
- the driver's Class 4 (or higher) drive'’s license; and
- a current drive'’s abstract from the Motor Vehicles Branch indicating that the driver has no driving offences.
- This is a diesel bus and is slightly different to operate from gasoline fueled buses, so before a driver uses the bus for the first time, they must contact either Dave Salyn or Dave Garcia for a quick run-through.
The procedures to book and use the district field trip bus are as follows:
- The principal or vice-principal will contact Helena Geske at the School Board Office to book the bus.
- The bus key will only be available at the School Board Office. The bus is stored at the City Yard on Wantage Road.
- Each driver must complete and sign a Trip Record/Pre-Trip Inspection Report and submit the report to the School Board Office at the end of the trip. This form can be picked up with the bus key.
- All bus inspection deficiencies must be reported immediately to Dave Garcia, Director of Operations. If the bus does not pass the Pre-Trip Inspection it will not be used until the deficiencies have been corrected.
- No eating or drinking on the bus. The bus must be returned clean, inside and outside, when you are finished with it.
- The bus must be filled with diesel fuel after each use so that it is ready for the next user. Record the fueling information on the Trip Record/Pre-Trip Inspection Report.
- If the City Yard is closed when the bus is to be returned, the bus must be returned early the next morning. If this is not possible, contact Helena Geske at the School Board Office to confirm whether the bus is booked for the next day and, if so, make arrangements with the next driver.
- Your club/team, etc., will be charged $25.00 per day plus the current rate per kilometer for each booking.
- Community User groups will be charged $50 per day, plus the current rate per kilometer for each booking.
- A School Bus Confirmation Form will be issued following the use of the bus. This form will also be the invoice for the use of the bus.
NOTE: The field trip bus serves as the back-up to the district's busses for students with special needs. A booking for the field trip bus is subject to cancellation if one of the busses for students with special needs is out of service.
1410 - Policy - District Code of Conduct Policy
1610 - Policy - Field Trip Policy
1610-10 - Regulation - Field Trip Approval and Permissions Regulation
5310-10 - Regulation - Volunteers in Schools
1610-12 - Regulation - Field Trip Supervision Regulation
1610-13 - Regulation - Field Trip Risk Management Regulation
1610-14 - Regulation - Field Trip - Unescorted Travel Regulation
1610-15 - Regulation - Field Trip - Budget Regulation
1610-20A - FORM - Field Trip Approval - Application Form
1610-30A - FORM - Field Trip - Consent Form
1610-35A - FORM - Field Trip - Information Form
1610-40A - FORM - Field Trip - High Risk Consent Form
5310-20A - - Volunteer Driver Information and Authorization Form