Policies, Regulations Forms and Bylaws
3410-20 | Security of School Buildings
Date Approved: February 01 2005
Date Reviewed/Amended: November 30 2016
The custodian is responsible for securing windows and doors, and arming the security system each evening. At times when no custodian is on duty in a school the security of the building is the responsibility of the Principal.
- Keys and security codes are distributed in accordance with 3430-10 Control of Keys and Security Codes Regulation.
- Staff requesting access to the school when the custodian is not in the building must arrange for access through the Principal.
- The Principal will ensure that all staff are familiar with the fire and intruder alarm system and procedures for arming and disarming the system.
- Staff who access the building when the custodian is not on duty are responsible for securing windows and doors, and arming the security system on leaving the building.
- Keys and security codes are not to be provided to anyone other than employees at any time, with the following exceptions:
- An organization that enters into a lease for the use of school space (for example, a day care provider).
- Instructors from other organizations (e.g. Northwest Community College) where an agreement is in place for the course to be provided on school district property.
- Contractors hired to complete work in a school or other facility.
- Emergency service providers (police and fire).
- If a school is to be rented for community purposes when a custodian is not on duty then the group sponsoring the activity must arrange for an employee to provide access and to arm the system after the activity. This must be requested through the Principal. Any costs incurred for such call-out shall be borne by the user.
3410 Security and Protection of Buildings Policy
3430-10 Control of Keys and Security Codes Regulation
5220 Use of Schools, Grounds and Equipment Policy
5220-10 Use of Schools, Grounds and Equipment Regulation
5220-20 Northwest Community College Use of Schools and Equipment